Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving

We had Thanksgiving at our house this year. I've gotta tell you, I was a little stressed because we had just returned home from Pismo the night before. Fortunately my planning ahead payed off and everything went off without a hitch. I was encouraged to do the turkey in a brown in bag, but I was determined to do it the way you always see it done in movies. So I found a recipe for a glazed turkey (honey, corn syrup, rubbed sage, basil, rosemary...) and went to work. I enjoyed pulling it out of the oven and basting it throughout it's cooking time, it felt very traditional. It turned out lovely. The glaze took on a dark molasses color, but the turkey never burned. It also didn't dry out. A success I would say. The hardest part was timing all the other dishes. We had a vegetable medley, stuffing, cornbread biscuits, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn, sweet potatoes (thanks Patrice), apple peanut butter crumb pie, pumpkin pie (thanks mom), orange jello salad (again..Patrice) and Martinelli's cider.

The proud cook.




Brett's first time carving the turkey, great job honey!



We turned our living room into a dining room. Our dining table is so massive with all the leaves in, it needs lots of space. I like the change, we'll keep it like this for a while.



The buffet, what a spread. There were 8 people to feed and I wanted to make sure we had enough food. Thanks mom and Patrice for all your help and for cleaning up. I couldn't have done it without your support!



I have a lot to be grateful for this year. I have a wonderful family and lots of friends who inspire and motivate me. I've picked up new talents and have enjoyed learning new things. I have a wonderful, smart, handsome, fun husband and a perfect, cute, happy little boy. I get to be a stay at home mom and take care of the household. I am a member of a wonderful church that challenges and pushes me to be a contributing member of society and help those in need. I have so much to look forward to this upcoming year and I am very excited to see what awaits me around the corner.
Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Maryann said...

Garian, you make me happy. I love you. I'm glad you had a great time at Thanksgiving.

Brianne & Jarod said...

Garian, I can't even express to you how AMAZING I think you are. I would say DITTO to the comment left from Maryann....your post made me happy :) What a DELICIOUS looking Turkey and incredible spread! I am really really amazed that you pulled that off just returning from a vacation :) I know that you have found a new "talent" of sewing, but I really wouldn't recommend making your own quiet book...it was a TON of work and I think I spent more money making the book than buying one. I know that you can find them all over in Utah, and I am sure you could order one off of the internet :) ok...enough of my blabbering...Just wanted you to know that I think you are GREAT!!!

bechtold clan said...

looks like a wonderful meal and day!

Mimi said...

Check you out Martha!!!